PLSC Student Advising FAQs

How do I declare my concentration?

  • Students can declare their concentration in the PLSC 110 course, or by clicking the following link to Adobe Sign. Students can also declare their concentration on the Graduation Evaluation form.
  • Students may take concentration courses prior to submitting the Graduation Evaluation form (provided they meet the prerequisites for those courses).

How do I access my Degree Progress Report? 
The Degree Progress Report is an online report that shows a student's progress towards degree. To access, follow these instructions:

  • Login to MyCalPoly
  • Click on "Student Center"
  • On the left hand side menu bar click " Degree Progress/Graduation"
  • Click "View Degree Progress Report"
  • Select Academic Institution: "Cal Poly" and Report Type: "Degree Progress Report". Click "Go"
  • Select "Expand All" for display view

Where can I find Study Abroad Information?

  • Students are advised to meet with Monica Schechter, Associate Director for Study Abroad, Building 38, Room 106. For more information visit the Study Abroad web page.

When do I file for graduation?

What is the GWR (Graduation Writing Requirement)?

  • The Graduation Writing Requirement (GWR) is a writing exam that every Cal Poly Student must complete in order to graduate. For more information visit the Cal Poly Writing Skills page.

What do I need to know about the Credit/No Credit option?

  • Each student can take a total of 16 units as Credit/No Credit grading. A maximum of 4 units can be used towards either major OR concentration OR support classes. A maximum of 4 units can be used toward GE courses. Remaining units (to a maximum of 16) may be used for free elective units only.
  • NOTE: Some majors do not allow a CR/NCR option to be used for their major, support, or concentration courses. Students should confirm with their departments if CR/NCR is an option.
  • NOTE: If a "C-" or better is earned, the student will receive credit (CR) for the course. If a "D+" or lower is earned, the student will receive no credit (NC) for the course.

How do I find out if a class I've taken at another school will substitute for a Cal Poly course?

  • Go to on the Web. It lists articulation (course equivalency) agreements with other schools in California. Articulation agreements are formal contracts between schools that determine the equivalency of courses at the two schools. If you took classes at a school outside of California, bring course descriptions to your department or advising center to determine appropriate credit. Need help figuring out how to use ASSIST? (pdf)

How can I take online courses and receive Cal Poly credit?

  • Use California Virtual Campus to find lower division online courses. The following handout (pdf)will explain how to use this website to find courses. Be sure to go to ASSIST to ensure it will transfer to Cal Poly for course credit. Upon completion of the course, be sure to have a transcript sent to Cal Poly State University, Office of the Registrar -Evaluations Unit. Building 1 -Room 218. San Luis Obispo, CA 93407.

Which catalog should I follow?

  • You may elect to follow the catalog in effect at the time that you enter the university or any catalog in effect from the time you arrive until the time you graduate, provided you have been in continuous attendance each quarter. Transfer students may use any catalog from the time they entered the higher education system until graduation, as long as they have not broken enrollment- meaning you have been enrolled in at least 1 semester or 2 quarters each year continuously. Talk with an advisor to determine if there is some advantage for you to be on one catalog versus another.
  • Important: If you are following an older catalog, talk with an advisor to make sure you understand what you are required to take. Some course numbers may have changed or other curricular changes may have occurred between the time the catalog first appeared and the present time.

Can I take classes with the CR/NC grading option?

  • The University policy for Credit/No Credit grading is that each student may choose to take up to 16 units of coursework with this grading option. This does not include courses that are only taught with the CR/NC option. Of the 16 units, 4 units can be from GE courses, 4 units can be from Major and Support courses if your department allows it, and the remaining units can be used for free electives. A C- must be earned in the course to receive credit.
  • The Horticulture and Crop Science Department does NOT allow their students to take any major or support courses (even if they count as a GE requirement) with the CR/NC grading option.

Related Content

Department Facilities

Crops Unit, Poly Plant Shop, Organic Farm and more!

Learn about Facilities

Plant Sciences Program Overview

Learn about PLSC

Student Clubs and Activities

Get Involved

Cal Poly Admissions

Selection criteria, application deadlines and more!

Find out more

Latest Newsletter

Read Newsletter